In considering whether a metal roof is right for your home, there are some things you should consider in finding the right roofing material for your roof. Not all metal roofs can offer you everything that your home may need and you will find when you start researching about metal roofs that there are many different types of metal roofing.
There are a few things you should think about for a metal roof:
- Valleys that are self-cleaning. As you might know there may be valleys inyour roof. Most valleys are closed in metal roofs that have hidden channels for water to come down and off the roof. These can become clogged with debris from trees and high winds that may pick up debris and toss it around to roof tops. When they become clogged this cancause issues like leaks. There are valleys that are self-cleaning that can prevent clogs which can save you from having leak issues due to the valleys on your roof.
- Coatings have resistance to fading and durability and also come in many colors. A common coating used from Kynar or Hylar can leave you with resistance to streaking and staining on a metal roof.
- Certified Products have been developed from manufacturers and products that have a high level of standards when it comes to raw materials.
- Flashings. Some roofs have a need for special flashings; if there are chimneys, dead valleys, or skylights for example, there is a need for special flashings which means they need special care.
- Ventilation is another important part to think about when it comes to a metal roof. Increased ventilation is helpful to avoid damages from winters and can help keep your home cooler through the summer. This can minimize rotting and molding in your home also.
- Warranties. There are many warranties for metal roofs and you want to have a warranty for your roof. You want a warranty that will cover the product and installation.